Good news for those of you who also have an iPhone, now you will be able to use Messages, an app for your Mac to send iMessages. It’s still in beta, but we really think that this could be a great way to save on those SMS costs. It brings the integration between your phone (hopefully an iPhone) your iPad and your computer that little bit closer.
- Send unlimited iMessages to any Mac, iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Start an iMessage conversation on your Mac and continue it on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch.
- Send photos, videos, attachments, contacts, locations, and more.
- Launch a FaceTime video call and bring the conversation face-to-face.
- Messages supports iMessage, AIM, Yahoo!, Google Talk, and Jabber accounts.
So now you will be able to continue your iMessasges on your Mac, and reply to people that little bit easier. These changes come with the announcement of Apple’s beta for Mountain Lion, the new Mac OS, that should be released some time in the summer. It plans to bring more iOS like functions to your desktop / laptop. John Gruber has some thoughts on Mountain Lion and the Gatekeeper over at Daringfireball.